Friday, January 20, 2017

Not Your Typical Dragon

This is not your typical review you'd find on my blog ( <--- See what I did there), I don't typically review young children's books, but this one deserves a bit of attention.

My son receives books from the Dolly Parton Imagination Library and this month's book was Not Your Typical Dragon by Dan Bar-el.

I've not had great luck with the Imagination Library, they're book choices are... odd... usually overly wordy and lacking in, dare I say it, imagination. They're not the greatest books. But, they're free entertainment, plus they come in braille for my son who will always need large print if they decide not to teach him braille skills.

We both took one look at the cover and decided we loved this book, we read it right away, and what's more exciting is after reading it we love it even more!

There's such a powerful underlying message to this story. My son sees a dragon breathing out funny things and giggles wildly at his misfortune and I have to admit it's incredibly adorable, but beneath the sillyness is a message of acceptance and love that's just so beautiful.

Yes, Crispin is different, and maybe his family was disappointed at first with having an abnormal family member, but all that dragon-societal pressure to conform to match the perfect, fire breathing dragon code of normality means nothing in the end because Crispin's family loves him just the same.

There are thought provoking questions for kids at the end, which my son is too young for, but this is a fantastic book to share with your kids. It may not be the best writing I've seen, but definitely a 5 star read for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment