Friday, November 11, 2016

Gemina

**4.5 Star Read** 'Die Hard meets Aliens'-IN SPACE


Moving to a space station at the edge of the galaxy was always going to be the death of Hanna’s social life. Nobody said it might actually get her killed.

The sci-fi saga that began with the breakout bestseller Illuminae continues on board the Jump Station Heimdall, where two new characters will confront the next wave of the BeiTech assault.

Hanna is the station captain’s pampered daughter; Nik the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. But while the pair are struggling with the realities of life aboard the galaxy's most boring space station, little do they know that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall, carrying news of the Kerenza invasion.

When an elite BeiTech strike team invades the station, Hanna and Nik are thrown together to defend their home. But alien predators are picking off the station residents one by one, and a malfunction in the station's wormhole means the space-time continuum might be ripped in two before dinner. Soon Hanna and Nik aren’t just fighting for their own survival; the fate of everyone on the Hypatia—and possibly the known universe—is in their hands.

But relax. They've totally got this. They hope.

Once again told through a compelling dossier of emails, IMs, classified files, transcripts, and schematics, Gemina raises the stakes of the Illuminae Files, hurling readers into an enthralling new story that will leave them breathless.



And Finally we come to our Featured Title of the month; Gemina! 

I did, in fact, read the second book to the Illuminae series the week it was released, but I've held off posting a review. I had planned to post a review earlier this week, before I met up with the authors, but it worked out better this way because now I can share with you a bit of the fun from the Gemina book tour signing here in Miami Florida!

Brace yourselves, this is going to be a long post. 

First off, Gemina is a fantastic sequel to Illuminae. Jay and Amie really worked their asses off to bring new twists and challenges to this epic space adventure and it is truly fascinating how the two stories finally mesh together. 

*Keep that in mind when reading this review because I want you to remember I love these books while I lay down some issues*

Illuminae was an absolute breath of fresh air, it was new and exciting and unique, it was a whole new way to tell a very visual story from the pages of a book without completely switching the project into a graphic novel. I was absolutely enraptured with the one of a kind debut from page one and I absolutely could not put it down.

Gemina brings us all the same extraordinary uniqueness as book one, but I couldn't help but feel that uniqueness began to work against them. The setup is great, the story told through a collection of documents and recordings and such from the ship during the actual event in question, but the segmented pieces of information also left a lot of places to easily set the book down and start again later on when I had a bit more time to spare. I didn't have that trouble with Illuminae, and perhaps it was because of the newness of the series or perhaps my attention span is shrinking, but I did find myself often overloaded with information and imagery and needing to take a break.

I'm almost done with the bad, I promise... Well, not really 'bad', that's too strong a word for it, but you know what I mean.

The new characters are fantastic, Hanna is an absolute badass and Nik is my kind of scum and his cousin... She is freaking epic. These are some tough kids going through absolute tragedy, and that's where I come to my second small issue with the book. In the texting format serving as most of their communication between each other, and with the case reviewer describing what he sees or hears, there's very little room for that emotional turmoil to build and spill over onto the page. 

They're tough kids, yes, but I felt they handled their situations a little too well...

But, that being said, I really enjoyed this sequel.

So, is this book as badass as everyone says? YES! A thousand times yes. Should you give the series a go? YEEEESSSS, why do you think I keep talking about these books? Definitely give Illuminae a read and if you love it the Gemina is a must because book 3 is already written and ready for illustrating and I can guarantee it's going to be insane.

This series is completely immersive, putting you in the role of the case reviewer (who's identity will be revealed soon!). It's a brand new way to enjoy reading and these two plan to bring us more epicness in the years to come. 

Right now Jay and Amie are working on a new series together that they describe as; The Breakfast Club enrolls in Starfleet Academy so you know I'll be all over that shit and I will definitely keep you up to date on all that awesomeness. Not to mention there's Nevernight 2 hopefully publishing next year and on top of that there is another series Jay is working on that I have been looking forward to for over a year now, LIFL1K3, which he describes as; Romeo and Juliet meets Mad Max: Fury Road.

I'm swooning already ;)

The other awesome news I have for this post is last night I made my trek to Books and Books in Miami, Florida to meet up with Amie and Jay on their Gemina US Tour! They were absolutely fantastic to meet, Amie is hilarious and I love her and definitely have plans to pick up more of her books ASAP. I am VERY interested in her upcoming series with Megan Spooner, Unearthed. It sounds fantastic and I am already hooked by her description of 'Indiana Jones teams up with Lara Croft IN SPACE' (Because according to Jay and Amie-'In Space' makes everything cooler)

Me (cosplaying Mia Corverre) with Jay and Amie at Books and Books Miami, FL

Very exciting stuff is coming from these two! They work so hard for us readers and I know I definitely appreciate their time and TSA struggles in going on tour and being there for us! I've been to a lot of signings and these two truly do everything for their fans.


And what's more, apparently today is Jay's birthday! Happy Birthday Jay! Go give him some happy wishes and thank these two epic folks for bringing a little more awesome into our lives.

The folks of Books and Books had a great birthday surprise for Jay last night and you can watch his birthday unfold in the video below. I am so happy I made it to this event!









No comments:

Post a Comment