Wednesday, October 12, 2016

2016 Moonbeam Award Winner-Kourtney Heintz


"The sequel to The Six Train to Wisconsin is a genre-defying tale of love and consequences. Once again, award-winning author Kourtney Heintz seamlessly weaves suspense and paranormal intrigue into a real world setting, creating characters rich in emotional and psychological complexity."

His secrets almost killed her. Her secrets may destroy them both.

Kai is recovering from a near-death experience when she realizes something isn’t right. Her body is healing, but her mind no longer feels quite like her own. Her telepathic powers are changing, too. She can’t trust herself. The darkness growing inside of her pushes her to use her telepathy as a weapon.

Oliver clings to the hope that he can save their marriage, even though he was the one who put her life in jeopardy. As his wife slips further and further away from him, he becomes increasingly obsessed with bringing the man who ruined his life to justice.

In Highway Thirteen to Manhattan, Kai is dealing with a darkness she can't understand. Her marriage and her family are falling apart and the emotional struggles of pulling a life back together after trauma is too much to bear-and she feels she is facing it all on her own.

Highway Thirteen is an intimate look into the trials of trauma, not only those faced by the victim, but by everyone connected to them.

As yesterday was World Mental Health Day, I have to say this series is a great way to introduce yourself to the real struggles of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and hopefully by reading you can take a way a little understanding and sympathy for those you may know suffering from mental illness.

I read this book at the request of the author and though I  thoroughly enjoyed reading Highway Thirteen to Manhattan, I will say it's important to read The Six Train to Wisconsin before delving into the continuation of Kai and Oliver's story. There's some important information only fully explained in book one, which I have yet to read, and I believe the story will hold so much more meaning if you first see the connection between the couple before their troubles in book two.

The cover art is simply gorgeous and represents the books perfectly, just beautiful work! I requested an interview with Kourtney who was kind enough to grace me with her thoughts for this blog post. Thank you so much for the book Kourtney and congratulations on the shiny, new Moonbeam award!  

Q&A with Award Winning Author Kourtney Heintz

AB: Highway Thirteen to Manhattan is purely fictional, but it's based in a real place. I read that there are certain characters in your story based on real people from the actual town of Butternut! Why did these townspeople stick with you and end up holding a special place in your story?
   KH: People reached out to me before, during, and after my visits. They were generous in sharing their stories and lives with me. When I found places where it worked for the book, I wanted to have the real people and places that make Butternut such a special place in my book. I’m so glad I did. Mike Brennan passed away this year, and when I read the chapter with him in it, it’s like for a short moment he’s here again.

AB: You've said that for your characters, love is a journey, never a destination. In the end, is the journey always worth it?
   KH: That’s a question every person must answer for himself or herself. For me, life is about experiencing as much as I can. Good, bad, beautiful, and ugly—I want it all. No matter how a love story ends, that journey remains with you for the rest of your life.

AB: Kai has trouble turning off her psychic abilities while most of us have trouble turning ours on. What's the most psychic experience you've ever had where you could swear you just read someone's mind?
   KH: I remember a really weird moment where I swear I saw like a minute into the future and knew a kid was going to hurt his face and tried to warn him, but he wouldn’t listen. Then he did exactly what I saw him doing, and hurt his face. I just shook my head.

AB: Highway Thirteen is full of strong family connections, though the family may not always be as functional as they wish they were. How important is family to you and your writing career?
   KH: I am incredibly close with my parents and their support means everything to me. I think of family not just as DNA, but as the people you choose to have in your life. I have friends that I treasure. Their support is something I can always rely on.

AB: After reading your webpage bio, I am extremely curious about the unpublished book you have hidden away. Can you share the basic premise of the story?  
   KH: It’s a journal-poetry hybrid where I went in search of myself. It’s only interesting reading if you want to know my darkest, deepest secrets. It’s pretty internal and definitely lacks a good plot. But it was an awesome exercise in self-awareness.

AB: Do you have any special events or signings coming up we should be aware of?
   KH: Thanks for asking!

October 17th from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
In Danvers, MA, at the New England Library Association Conference in the Sisters in Crime Booth: chatting about author visits and workshops and giving away author freebies and a few copies of my books.
October 30th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In Greenwich, CT, at the Eastern Greenwich Civic Center (101 Field Point Rd.) at the 3rd Annual Arts and Crafts Show: autographing and selling books.
November 20th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In South Windsor, CT, at Maneeley's (65 Rye St.) at the 2nd Annual Crafts Show: signing and selling books.
December 4th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In Mansfield, MA, at the Holiday Inn (31 Hampshire St.) at the 23rd Annual Arts and Crafts Show: selling and signing copies of my novel.

About the Author

Kourtney Heintz is the award-winning and bestselling author of The Six Train to Wisconsin (2013), the first book in The Six Train to Wisconsin series. She also writes bestselling and award-winning young adult novels under the pseudonym K.C. Tansley. She is a member of the Mystery Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, Romance Writers of America, and Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.

She resides in Connecticut with her warrior lapdog, Emerson, and three quirky golden retrievers. Years of working on Wall Street provided the perfect backdrop for her imagination to run amok at night, envisioning a world where out-of-control telepathy and buried secrets collide.


Connect with Kourtney
http://kourtneyheintz.wordpress.com


Purchase Kourtney's Books
Highway Thirteen to Manhattan

The Six Train to Wisconsin 
*For October and November, The Six Train to Wisconsin ebook is free to download* 
Amazon  Nook  iBooks & Kobo.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me on your blog today! :) The Q&A was a blast to do!

    ReplyDelete