Friday, May 20, 2016

Zero World, ZERO Disappointment



*****5 STARS *****

Technologically enhanced superspy Peter Caswell has been dispatched on a top-secret assignment unlike any he’s ever faced. A spaceship that vanished years ago has been found, along with the bodies of its murdered crew—save one. Peter’s mission is to find the missing crew member, who fled through what appears to be a tear in the fabric of space. Beyond this mysterious doorway lies an even more confounding reality: a world that seems to be Earth’s twin.

Peter discovers that this mirrored world is indeed different from his home, and far more dangerous. Cut off from all support, and with only days to complete his operation, Peter must track his quarry alone on an alien world. But he’s unprepared for what awaits on the planet’s surface, where his skills will be put to the ultimate test—and everything he knows about the universe will be challenged in ways he never could have imagined.

I have been waiting to read this book, and I waited far too long. My plan was to buy a signed hardcover straight from Jason's site, like I bought the Darwin series all signed (which you can do Here by the way) but so far saving money to do so has been... challenging.


It's still on my to do list-I WILL have a signed copy of Zero World in my collection!-but in the meantime, when Jason offered up a copy of Zero World to any willing guinea pig on which to attempt his experiment, well I jumped at the chance.

I think there was some begging, a bit of weeping, and a piece of my soul has gone missing... I may be exaggerating a bit, but the point is, I have finally read Zero World!

Actually, someone else read Zero World to me.

My first ever audiobook! Narrated by Gideon Emery. It was an interesting experience, I can't say I agree with every intonation and line delivery, but overall I really enjoyed listening to someone tell me a story. In my head, Melny is stronger and more confident than the timid nature Gideon gave her in the audiobook, but other than that it was fantastic.

The entire book was fantastic! The story moves at an exhilarating pace, and yet none of the plot felt rushed or lacking in details that usually leave me far behind and re-reading chapters to try and catch up. I couldn't stop listening. Over the few days I spent devouring every word, my son had to pull off my headphones and ask for supper or remind me his diaper does indeed need to be changed every so often... I just couldn't stop! I am very tempted to buy audiobooks for their convenience, and honestly for the company on long walks to pick up my son from school, though I did mess up quite a few stitches while crocheting that ended with me tearing apart the entire piece and having to restart... I can't exactly thank you for that one Jason...


Caswell is mysterious and dangerous, but also highly amusing and likeable. His descriptions of the world around him, especially after reverting are priceless. And that last line of the book... I'd call it cheesy if Gideon Emery didn't sound so amusingly badass while saying it. I loved it and it really has me excited for book two.

As I said, Melny was a much stronger character than I felt was depicted in the audiobook and I'd like to read a hard copy for myself someday. She feels disadvantaged by her background and birthright and that's carried with her even through her rise in position at every job she's ever had, but she's so sharp and much stronger than she gives herself credit for. I'm pretty sure she can only get more badass from here, and she'd better because they're in for a serious shit storm...

As a side note, and because I feel really awful about it since growing up with my maiden name was a nightmare of misspellings, mispronunciations and outright mockery, I did learn from listening to the audiobook that I have been severely mispronouncing Jason's name for years now... Apparently it is not pronounce 'how', his last name is 'huff'. So, there you go. Go buy this book and start calling the author by the correct name! 

Buy Zero World from Jason's Website, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Local Bookstore... Wherever you want, just buy it and give it a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment