Friday, March 4, 2016

The Fold


3.5 Stars

At first I couldn't understand why this book received such a low rating, averaging 3 stars, on goodreads. I was a bit hesitant going into this book, not sure what to expect, but as I began to read I became hooked. I had to know what happened next.

The Fold is definitely a page turner, a sci-fi, mystery, thriller with a bit of horror all mixed into one book. I was genuinely shocked and surprised at certain turn of events and I thought, with this much excitement the ending is bound to be good!

There's great dialogue and banter, interesting characters, a true mystery to unravel. The Fold has all the wit and attitude I love to experience in books, but as the story came to a close, things began to go wrong.

There were so many ways the ending could have been improved... So many interesting twists Clines could have included during the excitement. Instead it got a little... Confusing. 

The ending incident was dragged out so long that I found myself wishing for it to end.

Blow the damn thing and go home!!!

I get why the ending went the way it did. There was a ton of potential for the story, literally an unending selection of scenarios that could have played out, I guess we are just in the universe where the final pages aren't that exciting.

I enjoyed The Fold, very much, but I'm also disappointed in the rather unimaginative ending. I wish he had pushed his characters a bit further and really played into the Albuquerque Door and all it's worlds of possibilities.

The Fold was given to me for review by Blogging for Books.

 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

PETER CLINES has published several pieces of short fiction and countless articles on the film and television industries. He is the author of the Ex-Heroes series and the acclaimed standalone thriller 14. He lives in Southern California.

No comments:

Post a Comment