Sunday, December 13, 2015

In the Labyrinth of Drakes, Lady Trent Series


5 Stars

Several years ago, when I received a copy of A Natural History of Dragons, I thought-oh, that looks like an interesting book-and then tucked it under my TBR pile and figured someday I'd get to it.

It took nearly a year to pick the book back up, which was at the same time a blessing and a curse. I absolutely fell in love with Isabella. The story is not simply a textbook style history lesson on dragons as I expected (because I'm notoriously lazy when it comes to reading back cover descriptions).

The Lady Trent stories do study dragons, they are memoirs of a naturalist in the field, but they are so much more than that. Isabella's studies lead her to the most exciting adventures and she is perpetually in trouble. While fighting social status, propriety, and the oppressive nature of her sex, Lady Trent is a shining example of hard work, determination, and overcoming all odds to not only accomplish your dreams, but to succeed in spite of all obstacles working against you.

I couldn't wait to read more and luckily since I had waited so long to read the first book provided me, the second was near release and I devoured it the moment it arrived at my door.

In the Labyrinth of Drakes is the fourth book of the series, the fifth book coming in 2016 is to be the last installment, and I can very confidently say this is the best of the series. Absolutely brilliant. Her relationships deepen, her status as a naturalist solidifies, and surprisingly she behaves herself. That's not to say trouble still doesn't find her...

Todd Lockwood provides the artwork for these books and they are absolutely stunning. I received an Advanced Readers Copy so I'll have to wait for the hardcover to release this April to see the full sketches throughout the book-Yes, all Lady Trent books are fully illustrated with Isabella's sketches in the field-

In the Labyrinth of Drakes is set to release in April so there's still time to get a great pre-order price and catch up on the series.

 TOR.com provides computer backgrounds of the covers if you love them as much as I do. In the Labyrinth of Drakes can be found here: http://www.tor.com/2015/05/06/cover-reveal-for-marie-brennans-in-the-labyrinth-of-drakes/

About the Author















Marie Brennan is a former academic with a background in archaeology, anthropology, and folklore, which she now puts to rather cockeyed use in writing fantasy. She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, where she spends her time practicing piano, studying karate, and playing a variety of role-playing games.

Follow Marie Brennan on twitter @swan_tower for updates on In the Labyrinth of Drakes and giveaways!

Check out all the books she has to offer!
http://www.swantower.com/buy.html


No comments:

Post a Comment